Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Hospitals work to improve people’s health, to treat people with injury and disease, and to educate and improve understanding of health and disease. In carrying out these activities, the hospitals of Cottage Health System will always work to respect your values and dignity.
You are a partner in your hospital care. When you are well-informed, participate in treatment decisions, and communicate openly with your doctor and other health professionals, you help make your care as effective as possible. We respect the personal preferences and values of each individual.
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns; if you don’t understand, ask again. You have the right to know.
- Pay attention to the care you are receiving. Be an active participant.
- Inform your healthcare team of your health history and other important health information, including prior illnesses, tests, surgeries, medications, and other treatments.
- Educate yourself about your diagnosis, the medical tests you are undergoing, and your treatment plan.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be with you and be your advocate.
- Know what medications you take and why you take them. Ask questions if something is unfamiliar.
- Use your call light any time you need help or want to get out of bed.
- Participate in decisions about your treatment. You are the center of the healthcare team.
Medical Ethics Committee
The Medical Ethics Committee is a transdisciplinary committee which assures appropriate mechanisms are in place to address patient’s rights and provides a forum for clinical issues or conflicts. The committee serves as an educational advisory body to the organization on issues of ethics in health care in order to assure high ethical standards in patient care and patient rights.
To access the committee, please request a form from your case manager, who will submit it to the Ethics Committee chair. The information is confidential and will be honored as such by the committee and CRH staff.
Cottage Health System's Quality Improvement Department is a resource for all patients. If you have concerns regarding your hospitalization, or need assistance in contacting the appropriate State agency to file a complaint, this department is available to help you. Call (805) 569-7244, or dial ext. 57244.