Health Tip: Enjoy Dairy With Fewer Calories
(HealthDay News) -- Dairy foods usually are an important part of
a healthy diet. But it's important to make sure you're getting
enough calcium while not overdoing the calories and fat.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests these healthy
ways to include dairy foods in your diet:
- Milk contains essential vitamins, nutrients and protein. Choose
low-fat or fat-free milk, or a lactose-free product if you are
- Yogurt is another excellent source of protein and nutrients.
Choose low-fat or fat-free varieties with fruit, or get plain
yogurt and add fresh fruit. Yogurts with active cultures are a good
- Choose cheese that is lower in sodium and fat -- such as
certain types of ricotta, mozzarella or string cheese.
- Choose low-fat or fat-free cream cheese, spreads and sour
- Opt for trans-fat-free margarine instead of butter.
Copyright © 2013
All rights reserved.