How to Use Nose Drops
- Blow your nose gently.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Check the dropper tip to make sure that it is not chipped or cracked.
- Avoid touching the dropper tip against your nose or anything else--the dropper must be kept clean.
- Tilt your head as far back as possible, or lie down on your back on a flat surface (such as a bed) and hang your head over the edge.
- Place the correct number of drops into your nose.
- Bend your head forward toward your knees and gently move it left and right.
- Remain in this position for a few minutes.
- Place the dropper back in the bottle right away. Do not rinse the dropper.
- Wash your hands to remove any medication.
Adapted, with permission, from the Michigan Pharmacists Association'sPatient Education Program.
Use nose drops only as long as directed
AHFS® Consumer Medication Information. © Copyright, The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Inc., 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland. All Rights Reserved. Duplication for commercial use must be authorized by ASHP.
Last Reviewed: September 1, 2010.