Reasons to Quit SmokingEn Español (Spanish Version)
You know that smoking is bad for you. Maybe your family has asked you to quit. Or perhaps your doctor has advised you to kick the habit. Although you have been encouraged to stop smoking, here are some good reasons finally to take action.
- Smoking can shorten your life span. In fact, it is the leading cause of preventable death in the US. Cancers of the lung, esophagus, mouth, and stomach have all been linked to smoking. Quitting smoking may decrease your chance of getting cancer.
- Smoking affects many parts of the body causing conditions like:
Quitting will decrease your chances of getting these diseases.
You might be thinking, “Well, I’ve been smoking for years. So it’s too late for me to try and get healthy.”
It is not too late! No matter how long you have been smoking, you will have immediate health benefits by quitting. Benefits include:
- Smokers tend to have higher blood pressure rates. When you stop smoking, your heart rate and blood pressure will decrease.
- In a few hours after quitting, carbon monoxide levels start to decrease in your blood. Carbon monoxide prevents your blood from carrying oxygen to parts of your body.
- In a few weeks after quitting, your blood circulation improves, and you will not cough or wheeze so much. You will also have less mucus.
- Several months after quitting, your lung function improves.
- You will also notice that your sense of smell and taste improves. Foods may actually taste better!
- You will have more energy and focus.
- You will not feel out of breath.
- You will feel more in control of your life.
- If you quit smoking you will have better smelling:
- You will have fewer wrinkles.
- You will have whiter teeth.
Breathing secondhand smoke is harmful. It can cause cancer in those who inhale it, even if they are nonsmokers. Secondhand smoke can also lead to breathing and heart problems and increase the risk of getting colds
Secondhand smoke can harm a pregnant woman:
- Makes them cranky, restless, and more likely to get sick
- Makes them more likely to have learning problems
How much money do you spend on cigarettes? They are not cheap. Think of all the money you could save by not smoking. Instead, you can use the money to buy necessities like groceries or gas for your car. Perhaps the extra money you save can go toward treating yourself to a nice dinner at your favorite restaurant or right into a college savings account or future investment for a dream vacation or house.
These are just some reasons to quit smoking. Think of others and write them down. Keep them with you, perhaps near your pack of cigarettes. The next time you feel the urge to grab a smoke, you will be reminded of the good reasons not to do so!
American Lung Association
Free help to quit smoking. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/tobacco/smoking. Accessed August 13, 2013.
Harms of smoking and health benefits of quitting. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/cessation. Updated January 12, 2011. Accessed August 13, 2013.
Impact on others. Smoke Rree website. Available at: http://smokefree.gov/impact-on-others. Accessed August 13, 2013.
Reasons to quit. Smoke Free website. Available at: http://smokefree.gov/reasons-to-quit. Accessed August 13, 2013.
Tobacco use disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated August 2, 2013. Accessed August 13, 2013.
Top 10 reasons to quit smoking. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/q_smoke/top_ten.htm. Accessed August 13, 2013.
8/16/2012 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Gellert C, Schöttker B, Brenner H. Smoking and all-cause mortality in older people: systematic review and meta-analysis smoking and all-cause mortality in older people. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172(11):837-844.
Last Reviewed August 2013