The Lactation Center
The Lactation Center provides personal breastfeeding support for new mothers. Our certified lactation consultants, available by appointment, are specially trained to provide counseling and teach mothers techniques for breastfeeding.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least one year and, if possible, exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months.
Research shows that:
- If you breastfeed, your baby will be sick 50% less often than if formula-fed.
- A child who is breastfed for a year will be sick less than half as often as his formula-fed classmates during his/her entire school-age life.
- Breastfeeding significantly reduces SIDS, diabetes, obesity, and certain childhood cancers.
- Breastfed children have keener eyesight, higher IQs, better teeth alignment, and fewer ear infections and digestive upsets.
- Women who breastfeed lose pregnancy weight more quickly, have fewer female cancers, and less osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding will save your family at least $3,000 in the cost of formula and bottles alone.
Our approach to care is:
- Personalized: A breastfeeding consultation at TLC addresses each mother's specific needs and questions.
- Supportive: We take time to understand the challenges that each new mother has in breastfeeding her baby.
- Convenient: In addition to offering pumps and supplies around the clock for purchase or rental, registered nurses at the Birth Center are available to help with pump set-up.
For a consultation with The Lactation Center at SBCH, call 569-7826.